Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bahamian plants

I just got back from Nassau the other day and I have some new plant pictures for y'all.

Chenille Plant Acalypha hispida This plant grows like crazy over there - the interesting red, fuzzy flowers are about a foot long! After seeing this plant I bought one for myself from Shoal Creek Nursery,which is a very good nursery by the way. 

I'm not sure what this - I think Golden Shower tree Cassia fistula

Pretty Bougainvilleas

Palm tree with Bougainvillea


I was happy to see Plumeria on the island, although they were few and far between. I was hoping that the island would be covered with them, but I was disappointed
Lastly, my favorite tree ever (besides Plumeria) Flamboyan tree - Delonix regia. These are ALL over the place in Mexico. On our last vacation to Mexico, I smuggled some seeds into the US in my skirt pocket :-). I lost those, but I recently ordered some off Ebay and I have 8-10" seedling growing on my back patio right now. It's a very fast grower. 
I don't know what this is - some sort of hibiscus?
This is interesting, yet another unknown. If someone can tell me what it is, I'd be greatly appreciative!

Anyway, my family went to Atlantis Paradise Island in the Bahamas for vacation. It was an O.K. vacation overall. The beach was BEAUTIFUL, but unfortunately we didn't go until the third day when we were already sunburnt from the waterslides and such. Lesson learned. Okay that's all for now!

No comments: