Saturday, March 29, 2008

Carlea, just give it a chance!


Since Carlea already declared that she would be bored by my plant posts, I am going to try to make them as interesting as possible. For example, I bet you've never seen this plant before:

It's the lipstick plant. Quite phallic if I do say so myself, especially the one in the middle.


I'll try to only posts plants that I think are interesting. I love Plumerias, so I'm going to start a project where I put up weekly or bi-weekly pictures of my plumeria tree as it grows. I think the process is quite interesting, and hopefully I'll convert some people. 


Anyway, Yankee Candle put out their new summer fragrances and it made me think back to my days working there. I made a couple important observations regarding how I do NOT want to raise my children.  Here is a scenario:

A woman and her son come in and are browsing and they pick up a plug-in fragrance unit and she puts it in her basket. Well, her son is about 4 or 5 and she picks out Juicy Peach to put in his room. As usual, he begins to touch only the most breakable objects in the store and she absent-mindedly is telling him to stop while she's too caught up in her own browsing to really pay much attention. Finally, she tells him, 

"If you don't stop touching things and listen to mommy, I'm going to put this plug-in back and you aren't going to get anything for your room." 

Of course, the child does not stop touching things ... but the mom buys him the plug-in anyway.

 I think parents need to FOLLOW THROUGH with their punishments, or else their kids aren't going to learn. I've watched enough Super Nanny to know this. I know I don't have any kids, but if you teach your kid that you are never going to do what you say you will, how will they trust you?

I'd be interested for any feed back.

That is all.



1 comment:

Carlea J Wilson said...

you are right, the lipstick plant is interesting. i approve of this post, haha. but really you can write about whatever you want. on the mother/child scenario, i am a total follow througher. i think i get some sort of guilty pleasure out of making children behave. is that bad? hmm.. but in my experience this almost ALWAYS leads to incessant crying, which is a pain, and sometimes makes it more appealing to just not follow through and avoid the tantrum.